Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Not Art Not Technology?

I just finished a reading from another class titled 'Sculpture in the Expanded Field' by Rosalind Krauss and I found it interesting how she defined the term sculpture by using two contradictory words, then expanded it in to a diagram: here

I thought this provided a deep understanding of the term sculpture and I thought that it would interesting to come up with a diagram of my own.

The 2 contradictory words I am using is art and technology, and the 2 that are opposite to those is not art and not technology. I would place 'interface' between art and technology because they require the interaction between the audience and the piece. The word 'thought' would lie between not art and not technology because it is a free flowing process that occurs in the head, it has no physical manifestation. Now...the word between art and not art would be 'ready-mades', these objects are made purely to function, but can seen as art through different contexts. Lastly the term between technology and not technology would be 'skeltons of nature' because it isn't man-made to help us extend the functions of our body, but simple thing like dry branches can be used as a pen to write in sand.

No comments: