I was just looking at some information for my presentation topic and I came across this video on you tube.
Fluxus
I found this video pretty neat because it blends different media and modes of art together to form this clip. It fits in to the concept of fluxus because the video is basically made from the flow/intersection of one type of media to another. It also ties in to detournement and appropriation because something new in meaning is created from existing pieces of art. I am feeling good about this topic because it is beginning to tie in to what we are doing now. I think that I have a much better understanding of this topic now than before.
I was going to end this post but something just hit me now, I don't remember if it was this class or was it a design lecture but I remember the prof talked about mail art. Someone in the circle sends a piece of paper to the next person whom adds a little bit to it and send it to the next person and so on. The mail piece would look different each time someone receives it. By the time the first sender gets it back, it would look nothing like the original and would probably have an entirely different meaning. This ties in to the fluxus concept because the circulation of the mail creates an environment where nothing added is planned and resulting piece would be the combination of different artists' additons. Some may choose to go with its original meaning and some would recontextualize it and make it in to something different. However the piece is free flowing, no one has complete control over the result unless it is the last person.
This leads me to one final question: Does fluxus involve control or is it the spirit of free flowing limitless ideas? And if it doesn't require control, then in what instance can a piece of art be truly fluxus, or is it even possible when someone is involved with it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment